How to Take Synthroid & Whey Protein Together
In some cases, mixing medications with over-the-counter products causes adverse reactions. Synthroid is a medication prescribed for low thyroid hormone levels and prevention of goiter 14. Whey protein, available without a prescription, increases your daily protein intake, ideal for people with a low appetite or an eating disorder. Many bodybuilders and athletes use whey protein to build muscle and endurance. Whey protein doesn't appear on the list of contraindicated substances to take with Synthroid, according to Drugs.com 24. However, mixing the two may not be a safe for some people. If you are taking Synthroid, ask your doctor about using whey protein at the same time 14.
Read the whey protein product's nutrition information label 2. It is not safe to ingest large amounts of calcium or iron when taking Synthroid, according to Meritus Medical Center 14. If the whey product is high in either, choose another version or avoid using it altogether.
Aspavor Side Effects
Allow four hours between your dose of Synthroid and the ingestion of a whey protein product 4. Note the time when you swallow your thyroid pill; this allows you to determine whether enough time has elapsed before consuming whey protein.
Choose a whey protein product that contains less than 5 grams of fiber per serving. Your body digests high-fiber foods slowly, which may interfere with the absorption of Synthroid, even if you wait several hours to take it 4.
How to Take Kelp Powder
Take your Synthroid at the same time each day 4. This regulates its effectiveness but also allows you to include whey protein in your meal plan later in the day. Drugs.com recommends taking Synthroid in the morning 14.
Set an alarm that reminds you when it is time to take your Synthroid. If you miss a dose and have recently consumed a whey protein product, you might have to wait several hours to take your medication, which could increase symptoms of your thyroid condition.
Taking Synthroid with high-fiber foods, iron or calcium may prevent proper absorption of the medication. This puts you at risk for exacerbating your thyroid condition, which could be dangerous to your health, even if you take your medication on time and at regular intervals.
Aspavor Side Effects
How to Take Kelp Powder
Zopiclone Side Effects
Can You Take Fish Oil With Lisinopril?
Is It Okay to Take Metformin & Folic Acid?
What Are the Side Effects of Cranberry Juice?
Levothyroxine & High Fiber Diet
What is the Difference Between Albuterol & Pulmicort?
Side Effects of Pepto-Bismol
Side Effects of a Melatonin Overdose
- Synthroid: Tips for Taking Synthroid
- Drugs.com: Whey Protein Information
- Meritus Endocrinology: Ask the Nutritionist
- Drugs.com: Synthroid
- Snythroid: Synthroid Safety Facts
- Espaillat, R., Jarvis, M., Torkelson, C., and B. Sinclair. Gluten and Aluminum Content in Synthroid (Levothyroxine Sodium Tablets). Advances in Therapy. 2017. 34(7):1764-1769. doi:10.1007/s12325-017-0575-y
- Jonklaas J, Bianco AC, Bauer AJ, et al. Guidelines for the treatment of hypothyroidism: prepared by the american thyroid association task force on thyroid hormone replacement. Thyroid. 2014;24(12):1670–1751. doi:10.1089/thy.2014.0028
- Shamsbiranvand, M., Khodadi, A., Assarehzadegan, M., Borsi, S., and A. Amini. Immunochemical Characterization of Acacia Pollen Allergens and Evaluation of Cross-Reactivity Pattern with the Common Allergenic Pollens. Journal of Allergy. 2014. 14(1):2014:409056. doi:10.1155/2014/409056
- Cabrera-Chavez, F., Iametti, S., de la Barca, A., Mamone, G., and F. Bonomi. Maize Prolamins Resistant to Peptic-Tryptic Digestion Maintain Immune-Recognition by IgA From Some Celiac Disease Patients. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. 2012. 67(1):24. doi:10.1007/s11130-012-0274-4
- Viinanen A, Salokannel M, Lammintausta K. Gum arabic as a cause of occupational allergy. J Allergy (Cairo). 2011;2011:841508. doi:10.1155/2011/841508
- Bold J, Rostami K. Non-coeliac gluten sensitivity and reproductive disorders. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2015;8(4):294–297. PMID: 26468350
- Koulouri O, Moran C, Halsall D, Chatterjee K, Gurnell M. Pitfalls in the measurement and interpretation of thyroid function tests. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;27(6):745–762. doi:10.1016/j.beem.2013.10.003 doi:10.1016/j.beem.2013.10.003
- Voisin MR, Borici-Mazi R. Anaphylaxis to supplemental oral lactase enzyme. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2016;12:66. Published 2016 Dec 13. doi:10.1186/s13223-016-0171-8
- Fevzi, D., Mustafa, G., Ozgur, K. et al. Successful Oral Desensitization to Levothyroxine. Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. 2013. 111(2):146-147. doi:10.1016/j.anai.2013.06.003
Eliza Martinez has written for print and online publications. She covers a variety of topics, including parenting, nutrition, mental health, gardening, food and crafts. Martinez holds a master's degree in psychology.