Di-indole methane, also known as diindolylmethane or DIM, is a compound found in the mustard family of plants, also known as brassica 1. This includes broccoli, collard greens, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, turnips, rutabaga and several others. The compound is an anti-carcinogen, a chemical that has been found to reduce the severity or occurrence of cancers. In addition, DIM supplements are commonly used to regulate estrogen levels in women, boost testosterone in men and block estrogen production in men.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
DIM and Dark Urine
Upon adding either DIM supplements or DIM-rich foods to your daily diet, you might notice your urine change colors. The darkened urine, as a result of DIM intake, is often tea-colored or dark brown. While this can be an alarming side effect, it is a natural result of increased consumption of DIM. In addition, your urine might adopt a potent scent, especially if your DIM intake comes from vegetables such as broccoli.
- Upon adding either DIM supplements or DIM-rich foods to your daily diet, you might notice your urine change colors.
- In addition, your urine might adopt a potent scent, especially if your DIM intake comes from vegetables such as broccoli.
Other Causes of Dark Urine
Foods That Fight Bladder Cancer
While DIM can cause dark urine, which is a harmless side effect, consider other possible causes of your urine changing color. These include eating large quantities of rhubarb, fava beans or aloe, taking medications such as:
- muscle relaxers or laxatives
- urinary tract infections or medical conditions of the kidneys
DIM Side Effects
Research on DIM has not resulted in the link to any negative side effects, as the dark urine is harmless. As for positive side effects, you might notice an increase in energy when consuming DIM, as it allows your body to more readily absorb nutrients. In addition, DIM can cause an increase in libido because of the estrogen or testosterone balancing effects.
What To Do If You Notice Dark Urine
Do Beans Have Iron?
If you notice dark urine when consuming DIM, you should not be alarmed. However, keep watch for other symptoms of negative causes, such as liver or kidney conditions.
Foods That Fight Bladder Cancer
Do Beans Have Iron?
Ginseng's Effect on Your Urine Flow
Nutrition & Skin Discoloration
Danger Signs of Urine
Side Effects of Pinto Beans
Foods to Avoid to Improve Creatine Levels
Dandelion & Breastfeeding
The Side Effects of Colon Clenz
About Yellow Jacket Energy Pills
- American Association for Cancer Research: Diindolylmethane
- Perrier ET, Johnson EC, McKenzie AL, Ellis LA, Armstrong LE. Urine colour change as an indicator of change in daily water intake: a quantitative analysis. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55(5):1943–1949. doi:10.1007/s00394-015-1010-2
- Cortes-Penfield NW, Trautner BW, Jump RLP. Urinary Tract Infection and Asymptomatic Bacteriuria in Older Adults. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2017;31(4):673–688. doi:10.1016/j.idc.2017.07.002
- Dreger NM, Degener S, Ahmad-Nejad P, Wöbker G, Roth S. Urosepsis--Etiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2015;112(49):837–848. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2015.0837
- Jump RL, Crnich CJ, Nace DA. Cloudy, Foul-Smelling Urine Not a Criteria for Diagnosis of Urinary Tract Infection in Older Adults. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016;17(8):754. doi:10.1016/j.jamda.2016.04.009
- Kang KK, Choi JR, Song JY, et al. Clinical significance of subjective foamy urine. Chonnam Med J. 2012;48(3):164–168. doi:10.4068/cmj.2012.48.3.164
- Blackburn PR, Gass JM, Vairo FPE, et al. Maple syrup urine disease: mechanisms and management. Appl Clin Genet. 2017;10:57–66. Published 2017 Sep 6. doi:10.2147/TACG.S125962
- Prakash S, Saini S, Mullick P, Pawar M. Green urine: A cause for concern?. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2017;33(1):128–130. doi:10.4103/0970-9185.202190
- Torres PA, Helmstetter JA, Kaye AM, Kaye AD. Rhabdomyolysis: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Ochsner J. 2015;15(1):58–69. PMID: 25829882
- Rehfuss A, Mahon J, Sorokin I, Smith C, Stein BS. Phenazopyridine: A Preoperative Way to Identify Ureteral Orifices. Urology. 2018;115:36-38. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2018.02.023
- American Urological Association. Diagnosis, Evaluation and Follow-up of Asymptomatic Microhematuria (AMH) in Adults. 2016.
- Worku DA. Purple urine bag syndrome: An unusual but important manifestation of urinary tract infection. Case report and literature review. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2019;7:2050313X18823105. Published 2019 Jan 12. doi:10.1177/2050313X18823105
- Alkaptonuria. National Institutes of Health. Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. 3/18/2016
- Seo JW, Lee JH, Son IS, et al. Acute oxalate nephropathy caused by ethylene glycol poisoning. Kidney Res Clin Pract. 2012;31(4):249–252. doi:10.1016/j.krcp.2012.09.007
- Urinalysis. Visual Examination. Lab Tests Online. https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/urinalysis/ui-exams
Serena Styles is a Colorado-based writer who specializes in health, fitness and food. Speaking three languages and working on a fourth, Styles is pursuing a Bachelor's in Linguistics and preparing to travel the world. When Styles isn't writing, she can be found hiking, cooking or working as a certified nutritionist.