Allergic Respiratory Reaction to Sofas

Allergies are the fifth-leading cause of chronic illness in the United States, according to the website 1. A respiratory allergic reaction can manifest itself as sneezing, coughing, watering eyes or trouble breathing. Your sofa is a candidate for the cause of your allergies. Dust mites, pet dander and mold can be on your sofa and put you at risk.

Is This an Emergency?

If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.

Dust Mites

Dust mites are commonly found on furniture, states 23. These small bugs, a relative of the spider, thrive on human skin cells, making your sofa a nice place to live. An allergic reaction to dust mites can be from the mite itself or from its feces. A mild reaction to a dust mite can be sneezing or a runny nose. However, a severe reaction may result in an asthma attack. Dust mites live in dust, to reduce your risk of a dust mite reaction, clean your sofa regularly.

Pet Dander

Pets love lounging on sofas just as much as their owners. However, your pet can leave behind hair, dander and even skin on your sofa. Some animals can leave saliva on your sofa; most commonly a cat. These may be the source of your respiratory allergy. To prevent an allergic reaction, cut down on the time your furry friends spend on your couch. You can also drape a sheet or blanket over your couch, which is easy to wash and can reduce allergens getting into your sofa.


Mold thrives in humidity. If you live in a humid climate or house, you may be susceptible to mold growing on your sofa. Mold is unsafe to inhale and can cause an allergic reaction. When you inhale mold spores, your body responds by forming antibodies to attack the allergen. Part of this response entails a respiratory reaction that can become worse with repeated exposure.


The best way to prevent allergies from your sofa is to reduce your exposure to dust, dander and mold. To fight mites and dander, consider switching from a fabric sofa to one made of leather, wood or plastic. To reduce mold buildup, control the humidity inside your house. Keep a dehumidifier running and close your windows.