The chemical compound sodium bicarbonate is also known by other names including bicarbonate of soda, sodium hydrogen carbonate and baking soda 1. The ingredients of sodium bicarbonate include four natural elements combined together to form a white sold crystalline structure that makes a fine white powder. There are many uses for sodium bicarbonate including as an ingredient for baking and in medications.
Sodium bicarbonate consists of four elements, giving it the chemical formula of NaHCO3. The first ingredient, sodium, often exists bound to chloride, forming common table salt. Because sodium dissolves easily in water, compounds containing sodium, like sodium bicarbonate, also dissolve in water. Sodium bicarbonate contains one hydrogen atom, which forms a hydroxide (OH) ion, giving the compound its mild alkaline characteristic. The carbon and oxygen combine to form the carbonate compound that provides the effervescent, or fizzy, effect of sodium bicarbonate.
- Sodium bicarbonate consists of four elements, giving it the chemical formula of NaHCO3.
- The carbon and oxygen combine to form the carbonate compound that provides the effervescent, or fizzy, effect of sodium bicarbonate.
What Is Potassium Bitartrate?
Because sodium bicarbonate is alkaline, meaning it falls into the base section of the pH scale, it helps to neutralize acids. Although classified as a base, it exhibits only mild alkaline properties, which allow it to also react with and neutralize stronger bases. Because it effectively neutralizes a wide variety of substances, sodium bicarbonate can absorb odors. Along with being used as an ingredient in baking applications and medications, the unique properties of sodium bicarbonate make it useful in a variety of applications including as a chemical in fire extinguishers, as a cleaning agent, in beauty products as a skin exfoliant and as a mild abrasive in toothpastes 1.
- Because sodium bicarbonate is alkaline, meaning it falls into the base section of the pH scale, it helps to neutralize acids.
- Although classified as a base, it exhibits only mild alkaline properties, which allow it to also react with and neutralize stronger bases.
Many over-the-counter medications marketed to reduce stomach acid contain sodium bicarbonate. As an ingredient, sodium bicarbonate can neutralize the effects of excessive stomach acid to relieve symptoms like heartburn and indigestion. Doctors may also prescribe sodium bicarbonate to make your blood or urine less acidic. Sodium bicarbonate can cause side effects including increased thirst, stomach cramps, gas, nausea and headache.
- Many over-the-counter medications marketed to reduce stomach acid contain sodium bicarbonate.
- As an ingredient, sodium bicarbonate can neutralize the effects of excessive stomach acid to relieve symptoms like heartburn and indigestion.
The common baking ingredient known as baking soda contains pure sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda functions as a leavening agent, which means it causes baked goods to rise. Sodium bicarbonate reacts with acidic ingredients in the recipe like yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk or honey, in a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide bubbles. The bubbles cause the baked item to rise as temperatures rise during the cooking process. Baking powder, also a leavening agent, contains some sodium bicarbonate but also contains the acidic component, usually cream of tartar, and a drying agent like starch 1. The other ingredients in the recipe determine which sodium bicarbonate leavening agent to use.
- The common baking ingredient known as baking soda contains pure sodium bicarbonate.
- The other ingredients in the recipe determine which sodium bicarbonate leavening agent to use.
What Is Potassium Bitartrate?
Uses of Phenyl Benzoate
Bicarbonate of Soda Vs. Sodium Chloride
Active Ingredients in Scope Mouthwash
What Is Ammonium Lactate Lotion?
Chemical & Physical Properties of Glycerine
Ingredients in CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
What Is Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate?
- Culinate; The Science of Baking; April 2009
- Krustrup P, Ermidis G, Mohr M. Sodium bicarbonate intake improves high-intensity intermittent exercise performance in trained young men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:25. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0087-6
- McNaughton LR, Siegler J, Midgley A. Ergogenic effects of sodium bicarbonate. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008;7(4):230–236. doi:10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef530
- Hadzic M, Eckstein ML, Schugardt M. The impact of sodium bicarbonate on performance in response to exercise duration in athletes: A systematic review. J Sports Sci Med. 2019;18(2):271–281.
- Wan JJ, Qin Z, Wang PY, Sun Y, Liu X. Muscle fatigue: general understanding and treatment. Exp Mol Med. 2017;49(10):e384. doi:10.1038/emm.2017.194
- Carr AJ, Slater GJ, Gore CJ, Dawson B, Burke LM. Effect of sodium bicarbonate on [HCO3-], pH, and gastrointestinal symptoms. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011;21(3):189–194. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.21.3.189
- Schwalfenberg GK. The alkaline diet: is there evidence that an alkaline pH diet benefits health?. J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:727630. doi:10.1155/2012/727630
- Mero AA, Hirvonen P, Saarela J. et al. Effect of sodium bicarbonate and beta-alanine supplementation on maximal sprint swimming. J Int Soc Sports Nutr . 2013;10:52. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-52
- Edge J, Bishop D, Goodman C. Effects of chronic NaHCO3 ingestion during interval training on changes to muscle buffer capacity, metabolism, and short-term endurance performance. J Appl Physiol. 2006;101(3):918–925. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01534.2005
- Driller MW, Gregory JR, Williams AD, Fell JW. The effects of chronic sodium bicarbonate ingestion and interval training in highly trained rowers. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2013;23(1):40–47. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.23.1.40
- Saunders B, Sale C, Harris RC, Sunderland C. Sodium bicarbonate and high-intensity-cycling capacity: variability in responses. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2014;9(4):627–632. doi:10.1123/ijspp.2013-0295
Stephanie Chandler is a freelance writer whose master's degree in biomedical science and over 15 years experience in the scientific and pharmaceutical professions provide her with the knowledge to contribute to health topics. Chandler has been writing for corporations and small businesses since 1991. In addition to writing scientific papers and procedures, her articles are published on Overstock.com and other websites.