18 July, 2017
Dr. Oz's Green Tea Diet
While Dr. Oz offers a lot of advice about diet and nutrition, he does not have a specific green tea diet. However, his website does feature a green tea lemonade that's promoted as a fat-burning drink. Green tea is a healthy addition to your diet, but it may not melt the fat unless you combine it with a healthy overall diet and exercise. Consult your doctor to discuss how green tea might help you in your weight-loss efforts.
Dr. Oz's Green Tea Lemonade
Dr. Oz's green tea lemonade is simply brewed green tea with the juice from half of a lemon. It's promoted as a belly fat-burning tea. The website claims that the added lemon juice helps increase the amount of antioxidants you get from the green tea, increasing its belly fat-burning power.
Green Tea and Weight Loss
There is some evidence that green tea may help you lose weight. Both the catechins, which are the antioxidants, and caffeine found in the tea help boost your metabolism. However, a 2012 review study published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews reports that the amount of weight lost using green tea is marginal. Adding lemon juice to your green tea does enhance the amount of antioxidants you get from the tea, but it may not have the added fat-burning benefits as claimed.
- The Dr. Oz Show: Dr. Oz's Rapid Belly Fat Melt Plan: Green Tea Lemonade
- The Dr. Oz Show: Green Tea Lemonade
- Cochrane Database for Systematic Reviews: Green Tea for Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance in Overweight or Obese Adults
- Purdue University: Citrus Juice, Vitamin C Give Staying Power to Green Tea Antioxidants
- Molecular Nutrition and Food Research: Common Tea Formulations Modulate in Vitro Digestive Recovery of Green Tea Catechins
- AKIRA/amanaimagesRF/amana images/Getty Images