How to Grill Spinach
The barbecue is no longer the sole domain of meat -- vegetables are routinely tossed on the grates and grilled as well. Grilling your vegetables is a convenient way to prepare a whole outdoor meal in the same place, and adds a hint of smokiness to the finished dish. While spinach isn’t a vegetable you might normally grill, this versatile leafy green cooks up easily and is high in many nutrients including calcium, potassium, vitamin A and iron.
Preheat your grill to medium-high.
How to Cook Watercress
Cut any large stems off 1 lb. of fresh spinach and run the leaves under cool water to remove loose dirt.
Tear off a large section of aluminum foil, at least 18 inches square.
How to Blanch Kale
Set the foil down on a flat surface and rub it with vegetable oil or olive oil, using a paper towel or kitchen brush.
Pile the spinach in the middle of the foil and sprinkle with 1 tsp 1. of salt.
Fold the foil over the spinach one direction, then fold in the ends to create a package. Fold each side over a few times to make sure the package is completely sealed.
Place the spinach on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, until all the leaves are wilted.
Remove the foil package from the grill and open carefully to serve the spinach. Or, puree the cooked spinach in a food processor to make a sauce.
Before grilling, add extra ingredients to the package for added flavor; try lemon juice, orange juice, garlic, or minced onion or ginger.
How to Cook Watercress
How to Blanch Kale
How to Make Molasses With Sugar Beets
Raw Spinach and Kidney Damage
How to Blanch Broccoli
Nutrition Facts of Doenjang Jjigae
Is Spinach a Fat Burner?
Nutrition Information on Jicama
The Best Ways to Pressure-Cook Beets
Green Leafy Vegetables High in Potassium
- Epicurious; Garam Masala Chicken with Grilled Spinach and Corn; June 2005
- Naturally-Healthy-Eating.com: The Benefits of Spinach
- Spinach. FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Updated December 6, 2019.
- Vitamin A fact sheet for health professionals. National Institutes of Health. Office of Dietary Supplements. Updated 2020.
- Nour M, Lutze SA, Grech A, Allman-Farinelli M. The relationship between vegetable intake and weight outcomes: A systematic review of cohort studies. Nutrients. 2018;10(11). doi:10.3390/nu10111626
- Vaňková K, Marková I, Jašprová J, et al. Chlorophyll-mediated changes in the redox status of pancreatic cancer cells are associated with its anticancer effects. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2018;2018:4069167. doi:10.1155/2018/4069167
- Park SY, Na SY, Kim JH, Cho S, Lee JH. Iron plays a certain role in patterned hair loss. J Korean Med Sci. 2013;28(6):934-8. doi: 10.3346/jkms.2013.28.6.934
- Iron fact sheet for health professionals. National Institutes of Health. Office of Dietary Supplements. Updated 2019.
- Vitamin K fact sheet for health professionals. National Institutes of Health. Office of Dietary Supplements. Updated 2020.
- Food allergy overview. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Updated 2020.
- Park JN, Lee JS, Noh MY, Sung MK. Association between usual vitamin K intake and anticoagulation in patients under warfarin therapy. Clin Nutr Res. 2015;4(4):235-41. doi:10.7762/cnr.2015.4.4.235
- Pendick D. 5 steps for preventing kidney stones. Harvard Health Publishing. Harvard Medical School. Updated 2013.
- Spinach. University of Illinois Extension. Watch Your Garden Grow. Updated 2020.
- Colorado spinach. Colorado Farm to Table. Colorado State University Extension. Updated 2017.
- Vegetable blanching directions and times for home freezer storage. The University of Minnesota Extension. Updated 2018.
- Before grilling, add extra ingredients to the package for added flavor; try lemon juice, orange juice, garlic, or minced onion or ginger.
Joshua McCarron has been writing both online and offline since 1995. He has been employed as a copywriter since 2005 and in that position has written numerous blogs, online articles, websites, sales letters and news releases. McCarron graduated from York University in Toronto with a bachelor's degree in English.