What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
N-acetylcysteine, also known as NAC, is an amino acid that may help prevent recurring bronchitis and cancer, as well as help treat conditions such as pulmonary diseases and cirrhosis. In addition to these possible benefits, N-acetylcysteine may also provide some help with eye conditions. If you think NAC may help you, talk with your doctor and she will help you evaluate any potential associated risks to determine the most appropriate treatment for your eyes and general health.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Blepharitis is an eye condition that results in eyelid inflammation, redness and eye irritation. In your eyelids you have oil glands, called meibomian glands, and blepharitis often occurs when these glands fail to function properly. You may have flaking in your eyelashes, much like dandruff, and these flakes can make their way to the surface of your eye and result in irritation. Once you have blepharitis, the condition does not typically resolve completely, and you may find that you have recurrent episodes. N-acetylcysteine may help improve the function of the meibomian glands, reports the Bastyr Center for Natural Health. This could help reduce the occurrence of blepharitis and associated symptoms.
- Blepharitis is an eye condition that results in eyelid inflammation, redness and eye irritation.
- In your eyelids you have oil glands, called meibomian glands, and blepharitis often occurs when these glands fail to function properly.
How to Get Rid of a Sty on Your Eye
The surface of your eye requires a tear film that helps protect and nourish the surrounding tissues. If you do not have enough tears, you may experience dry eye, a condition that causes stinging, itching and redness. You may also have times when your vision suddenly blurs, but, in most cases, blinking for a few seconds will restore vision. Artificial tears may offer momentary relief from these symptoms. As of 2011, the Medical University of Vienna researchers are preparing to study the effects of eye drops containing N-acetylcysteine in relation to dry eye symptoms 2.
- The surface of your eye requires a tear film that helps protect and nourish the surrounding tissues.
- If you do not have enough tears, you may experience dry eye, a condition that causes stinging, itching and redness.
Side effects of N-acetylcysteine supplements may include gastric upset, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. You may also experience tiredness, headaches, low blood pressure and skin rash. In some cases, N-acetylcysteine may also cause irritation to your conjunctiva, the thin tissue that covers the white of your eye and the underside of your eyelids.
- Side effects of N-acetylcysteine supplements may include gastric upset, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- In some cases, N-acetylcysteine may also cause irritation to your conjunctiva, the thin tissue that covers the white of your eye and the underside of your eyelids.
Itchy Eyelash Follicles
You should not use supplements containing N-acetylcysteine without first consulting your doctor. Despite the potential benefits for some eye conditions, this supplement may not offer the best methods of treatment or protection for your eyes, and your doctor can help you determine appropriate alternatives.
How to Get Rid of a Sty on Your Eye
Itchy Eyelash Follicles
Causes of Green Mucus in the Eye
Problems With Eyelashes
What Causes Eye Mucus?
Natural Alternatives to Steroid Eyedrops
Vitamins for White Eyes
How to Get Rid of Swelling on the Inner Corner of My Eye
Melatonin & Shimmering Eye Sensations
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center: N-Acetylcysteine: January 2011
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Local Tolerability of Chiosan-N-Acetylcysteine Eye Drops in Healthy Young Volunteers: January 2011
- MayoClinic.com: Blepharitis: February 2010
- Gaucher C, Boudier A, Bonetti J. Glutathione: Antioxidant Properties Dedicated to Nanotechnologies. Antioxidants (Basel). 2018 May;7(5):62. doi:10.3390/antiox7050062.
- Talarowska M, Szemraj J, Berk M, et al. Oxidant/antioxidant imbalance is an inherent feature of depression. BMC Psychiatry. 2015:15:17.doi:10.1186/s12888-015-0454-5.
- Tomko RL, Jones JL, Gilmore AK, et al. N-acetylcysteine: A potential treatment for substance use disorders. Curr Psychiatr. 2018 Jun;17(6):30-55.
- Conus P, Seidman LJ, Fournier M, et al. N-acetylcysteine in a Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial: Toward Biomarker-Guided Treatment in Early Psychosis. Schizophr Bull. 2018 Feb;44(2):317-27. doi:10.1093/schbul/sbx093.
- Sansone A, Sansone L. Getting a Knack for NAC: N-Acetyl-Cysteine. Innov Clin Neurosci. 2011 Jan;8(1):10-14.
- Barekat F, Tavalee M, Deemeh MR, et al. A Preliminary Study: N-acetyl-L-cysteine Improves Semen Quality following Varicocelectomy. Int J Fertil Steril. 2016 Apr-Jun;10(1):120-6. doi:10.22074/ijfs.2016.4777.
- Cazzola M, Calzetta L, Page C, et al. Influence of N-acetylcysteine on chronic bronchitis or COPD exacerbations: a meta-analysis. Eur Respir Rev. 2015;24:451-61. doi:10.1183/16000617.00002215.
- Falach-Malik A, Rozenfeld H, Chetborn M, et al. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine inhibits the development of glucose intolerance and hepatic steatosis in diabetes-prone mice. Am J Transl Res. 2016;8(9):3744-56.
- Hildebrandt W, Sauer R, Bonaterra G, et al. Oral N-acetylcysteine reduces plasma homocysteine concentrations regardless of lipid or smoking status. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015 Nov;102(5):1014-24. doi:10.3945/ajcn.114.101964.
- Thakker D, Raval A, Patel I, et al. N-Acetylcysteine for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials. Obstet Gynecol Int. 2015;2015:817849. doi:10.1155/2015/817849.
Kate Beck started writing for online publications in 2005. She worked as a certified ophthalmic technician for 10 years before returning to school to earn a Masters of Fine Arts degree in writing. Beck is currently putting the finishing touches on a novel.