What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Stop Lexapro for Weight Loss
Lexapro, or escitalopram, is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, or SSRI, that is used to treat symptoms of depression, states Drugs.com 1. Lexapro alters chemical signals in the brain that may cause depression or anxiety. Although Lexapro may be effective in treating symptoms, it may cause weight gain because of increased swelling, states MayoClinic.com 12. Lexapro must be stopped safely to avoid complications.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Avoid abruptly stopping Lexapro, states Drugs.com 1. Lexapro may take up to four weeks to reach the appropriate therapeutic levels in your system. Therefore, because your body is now used to Lexapro, you most slowly stop this medication.
How to Know If Iodoral Supplement Is Working?
Work with your doctor to taper your dose of Lexapro. Lexapro is available in 20 mg, 15 mg, 10 mg and 5 mg doses. If you are taking a 5 mg low dose, you are not likely to experience symptoms of withdrawal or discontinuation. If you do begin to feel lightheaded, nauseous or anxious, take a 5 mg dose to relieve your symptoms. If you are taking a higher 20 mg or 10 mg dose, reduce your dose as directed by your doctor. If your doctor's recommendations are too abrupt, you may experience signs of discontinuation. In this case, call your doctor, who will likely recommend that you take a normal dose of Lexapro. Then, design a plan with your doctor to lengthen the taper process to avoid withdrawal. It may take over four weeks to taper Lexapro depending on how you respond to its discontinuation, according to a 2005 article in "The Journal of Family Practice." Unfortunately, there are no clear protocols on how to discontinue Lexapro.
Alert your doctor if you are having a return, or worsening of depression or anxiety after stopping Lexapro. Do not hesitate to go to the emergency room if you experience dizziness, tremors, lightheadedness or confusion because you may be experiencing withdrawal.
Never abruptly stop Lexapro, or any other medication without your doctor's permission.
How to Know If Iodoral Supplement Is Working?
How to Taper the Dosage of Prednisone
Lexapro vs. Buspar
Metoprolol & Potassium Chloride
Side Effects of Fastin Diet Pills
Singulair & Weight Loss
What Are the Benefits of Lexapro?
Side Effects of a Melatonin Overdose
Symptoms When Stopping Lexapro
Side Effects of Meclizine 25 mg
- Drugs.com: Lexapro
- MayoClinic.com: Escitaloprom
- Steyn SF, Harvey BH, Brink CB. Immediate and long-term antidepressive-like effects of pre-pubertal escitalopram and omega-3 supplementation combination in young adult stress-sensitive rats. Behav Brain Res. 2018;351:49-62. doi:10.1016/j.bbr.2018.05.021
- Landy K, Estevez R. Escitalopram. StatPearls Updated May 6, 2020.
- Guzman F. Citalopram and escitalopram. Psychopharmacology Institute.
- Freeman EW, Guthrie KA, Caan B, et al. Efficacy of escitalopram for hot flashes in healthy menopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011;305(3):267-274. doi:10.1001/jama.2010.2016
- Aga VM. When and how to treat agitation in Alzheimer's disease dementia with citalopram and escitalopram. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019;27(10):1099-1107. doi:10.1016/j.jagp.2019.04.016
- Li C, Chen L, Huo N, et al. Generic escitalopram initiation and substitution among Medicare beneficiaries: A new user cohort study. PLoS One. 2020;15(4):e0232226. Published 2020 Apr 30. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0232226
- Food and Drug Administration. Lexapro label. Updated January 2017.
- Florio V, Porcelli S, Saria A, Serretti A, Conca A. Escitalopram plasma levels and antidepressant response. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27(9):940-944. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2017.06.009
- Never abruptly stop Lexapro, or any other medication without your doctor's permission.
As a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician I have extensive experience in musculoskeletal/neurological medicine that will benefit the network.