What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Herbal supplements and alternative medicine are commonly used as a means to lose weight. The reishi mushroom, or ganoderma herb, is an example of such an herbal supplement. This supplement is available for purchase in most supermarkets or health food stores in the form of pills, powders, or liquid extract. Speak to your doctor for more information on the benefits and/or risk factors of using ganoderma.
According to MushroomExpert.com, ganoderma lucidum derives from Asian cultures and is red, bright yellow, and white in color 2. This fungus can differ in size and usually develops in heavily-wooded areas. There are many different species of ganoderma mushrooms, including the parasitic fungus Ganoderma tsugae, which is nearly identical in appearance to the lucidum species. As an herbal supplement, ganoderma has been traditionally used for a variety of different medical treatments, including weight loss.
- According to MushroomExpert.com, ganoderma lucidum derives from Asian cultures and is red, bright yellow, and white in color 2.
According to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, ganoderma contains active ingredients that can increase your metabolic rate after consumption 1. As your metabolism increases, your body uses more energy to digest food more efficiently. This energy is fueled by breaking down fat deposits and calories in your body, which can then lead to weight loss. Ganoderma increases the rate in which your body provides oxygen to your blood, which allows your body to exert additional energy.
- According to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, ganoderma contains active ingredients that can increase your metabolic rate after consumption 1.
Ganoderma supplements also contain polysaccharides which can serve as a strong detoxifying agent in your body according to the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1. In addition, polysaccharides strengthen your body’s natural healing ability while also assisting with digestion. According to MayoClinic.com, an improved digestive system may lead to more efficient waste excretion and thus increased weight loss 3. Further research is needed to substantiate claims of weight loss associated with detoxifying agents, however.
Tribulus Terrestris & Weight Loss
Consuming herbal supplements alone may not provide you the weight loss results you desire. Your doctor or nutritionist may also recommend additional weight loss techniques, such as an exercise program or a nutritional diet plan in order to help you achieve your goal. Be sure to monitor your weight loss with the help of your doctor via regular physicals. You should not choose ganoderma supplements for weight loss if you have a known allergy to mushrooms.
- Consuming herbal supplements alone may not provide you the weight loss results you desire.
- Your doctor or nutritionist may also recommend additional weight loss techniques, such as an exercise program or a nutritional diet plan in order to help you achieve your goal.
Tribulus Terrestris & Weight Loss
What Are the Benefits of Cilantro Tincture?
Side Effects of Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice
The Health Benefits of the Plantain Leaf
Cayenne and Belly Fat
Foods Containing Protease Enzymes
What Is Lauroyl Lysine?
Can Turmeric Cause Blood Sugar Levels to Drop?
Lemongrass & Cancer
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center: Reishi Mushroom
- MushroomExpert.com: Ganoderma
- MayoClinic.com: Digestion
- Sohretoglu D, Huang S. Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides as an anti-cancer agent. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2018;18(5):667–674. doi:10.2174/1871520617666171113121246
- Jin X, Ruiz beguerie J, Sze DM, Chan GC. Ganoderma lucidum (reishi mushroom) for cancer treatment. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;4:CD007731. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007731.pub3
- Harvard Health Publishing. The latest scoop on the health benefits of coffee. September 25, 2017.
- Klupp NL, Chang D, Hawke F, et al. Ganoderma lucidum mushroom for the treatment of cardiovascular risk factors. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(2):CD007259. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007259.pub2
- Li H, Chen YJ, Hsu YJ, et al. Effects of Ganoderma lucidum and ‘Essence of Chicken’ on Physical Fatigue Recovery and Exercise Performance Improvement. Chin J Physiol. 2018;61(6):372-383. doi:10.4077/CJP.2018.BAH646
- Sokawatmakhin S, Boonyahotra W. Preliminary study of the applications of Ganoderma lucidum in chronic fatigue syndrome. JAASP. 2013;2:262‐268.
- Drugs.com. Reishi mushroom. Updated January 3, 2020.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Reishi mushroom. Updated April 12, 2019.
Adam Fonseca has been a writer and blogger since 2005. He maintains a number of different blogs on a variety of subjects ranging from health care to golf. Fonseca has a Master of Health Administration degree from the University of Phoenix and degrees in health science and psychology from Bradley University.