What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Onions are a commonly-found vegetable in your grocery store or farmer's market. This vegetable finds use raw, sauteed and grilled in many foods and offers a variety of nutritional benefits, including a small amount of calories.
One medium onion provides you with 44 calories that can be used to fuel your body, according to the United States Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database. Few recipes call for an entire onion to be used in a serving size portion.
How Many Calories Does Cabbage Have?
Onions serve as a good source of vitamin C. The National Nutrient Database reports that one medium onion provides 8.1 mg of this vitamin, the recommended daily intake of which ranges from 75 to 90 mg per day, according to Medline Plus 1. One medium onion also offers 25 mg of calcium, 161 mg of potassium, 21 mcg of folate and 2 IU of vitamin A.
You can purchase a variety of onions for use. The National Gardening Association notes that they are divided into two categories: onions with strong flavor and those that are milder 2. Milder onions include the type you typically find in common foods, including red onions, Walla Walla onions and Vidalia onions.
How Many Calories Does Cabbage Have?
Diet Recipes for Gout Sufferers
How to Use Onion Juice to Treat Bronchitis
Onion Effects on Cholesterol
1,200-Calorie Menu Planner
Can I Eat Prosciutto Ham Without Cooking It?
Rally's Nutrition Guide
Does a Cut-Up Onion Clear Sinuses?
Do Onions Have Vitamin K?
How to Boil Onions for Soup
- Medline Plus: Vitamin C
- National Gardening Association: Onion Varieties
- Onions, raw. FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Anderson GH, Soeandy CD, Smith CE. White vegetables: Glycemia and satiety. Adv Nutr. 2013;4(3):356S-67S. doi:10.3945/an.112.003509
- Exploring aromatics. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Updated 2020.
- Dabeek WM, Marra MV. Dietary quercetin and kaempferol: Bioavailability and potential cardiovascular-related bioactivity in humans. Nutrients. 2019;11(10). doi:10.3390/nu11102288
- Puccinelli MT, Stan SD. Dietary bioactive diallyl trisulfide in cancer prevention and treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(8). doi:10.3390/ijms18081645
- Marrelli M, Amodeo V, Statti G, Conforti F. Biological properties and bioactive components of Allium cepa L.: Focus on potential benefits in the treatment of obesity and related comorbidities. Molecules. 2018;24(1). doi:10.3390/molecules24010119
- Chae MR, Kang SJ, Lee KP, et al. Onion (Allium cepa L.) peel extract (OPE) regulates human sperm motility via protein kinase C-mediated activation of the human voltage-gated proton channel. Andrology. 2017;5(5):979-989. doi:10.1111/andr.12406
- Smith AP, Sutherland D, Hewlett P. An investigation of the acute effects of oligofructose-enriched inulin on subjective wellbeing, mood and cognitive performance. Nutrients. 2015;7(11):8887-96. doi:10.3390/nu7115441
- Albanesi M, Pasculli C, Giliberti L, et al. Immunological characterization of onion (Allium cepa) allergy. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2019;36(1):98-103. doi:10.5114/ada.2019.82829
- Cooking with onions without crying. University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Updated 2020.
- What is the low FODMAP diet?. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Updated 2019.
- Onions. RxList. Updated 2019.
- Shock CC, Cheatham NE, Harden JL, Mahony, AC, Shock BM. Types of onions and varieties. Oregon State University. College of Agricultural Sciences. Updated 2020.
- Dowdy S. Stored properly Vidalia onions can still be around this winter. University of Georgia. College of Agriculture and Environmental Science. Updated 2019.
Nicki Wolf has been writing health and human interest articles since 1986. Her work has been published at various cooking and nutrition websites. Wolf has an extensive background in medical/nutrition writing and online content development in the nonprofit arena. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English from Temple University.