What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Take Yohimbe Before a Meal
Yohimbe is a type of evergreen tree that grows in areas of Africa including Cameroon, Zaire and Gabon. The bark of the tree may help men treat erectile dysfunction by increasing the amount of blood flow to the penis and stopping the blood from leaving the penis. The treatment may be helpful when treating impotence associated with psychological problems that cause the erectile dysfunction. The herb is available as a tea or supplement at health food stores, or as a prescription medication called yohimbine hydrochloride, according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Always consult with a health care professional before taking any herb or herbal supplement.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Purchase yohimbe from a health food store or ask your doctor for a prescription. The prescription version, yohimbine hydrochloride, is available as a tablet.
The Ingredients in Adipex Diet Pills
Swallow the yohimbe tablet or capsule with a glass of water. A typical prescription for yohimbine is 15 to 30 mg to help increase sexual performance, according to RxList.com 1. Depending on your doctor's instructions, you may be able to take yohimbine three times each day. Brew the tea and drink up to three times each day.
Take yohimbe on an empty stomach and avoid eating foods containing tyramine when taking the supplement. Common foods that contain tyramine include chocolate, nuts, aged or smoked meats, cheese, sauerkraut and yeast. Beverages such as beer and red wine also contain tyramine. Both yohimbe and tyramine may raise blood pressure, so dangerously high blood pressure may occur if you take the supplement and these foods.
Yohimbine vs. Yohimbe
Inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking before using yohimbe. Yohimbe should not be taken with an MAOI, or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, which are used to treat depression. These medications include tranylcypromine and phenelzine. Additionally, this supplement can cause adverse reactions when taken along with high blood pressure medications.
Report any bothersome side effects to your physician. Possible side effects may include an irregular heartbeat, confusion, dizziness, headache, anxiety and tremors. Additional side effects include nausea, vomiting and sleeplessness. The supplement may also cause severe side effects such as a heart attack or seizures, according to MedlinePlus.
Pregnant women and children should not take yohimbe.
The Ingredients in Adipex Diet Pills
Yohimbine vs. Yohimbe
Can L-Tyrosine Be Used With Prozac?
How Much EPA & DHA Are in Chia Seeds?
The Best Way to Take Viagra
Colofac Side Effects
Trazodone 50 mg Tablet Side Effects
What are the Side Effects of Nurofen?
Side Effects of Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
- RxList.com: Yohimbe
- Drugs.com: Yohimbe
- Chinese-Herbs.org: Yohimbe: Herb of Controversy and Potential
- Tam S, Worcel M, Wyllie M. Yohimbine: a clinical review. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2001;91(3):215-243. doi:10.1016/s0163-7258(01)00156-5
- Guay AT, Spark RF, Jacobson J, Murray FT, Geisser ME. Yohimbine treatment of organic erectile dysfunction in a dose-escalation trial. International Journal of Impotence Research. 2002;14(1):25-31. doi:10.1038/sj.ijir.3900803
- Corazza O, Martinotti G, Santacroce R. Sexual Enhancement Products for Sale Online: Raising Awareness of the Psychoactive Effects of Yohimbine, Maca, Horny Goat Weed, and Ginkgo biloba. BioMed Research International. 2014;2014:1-13. doi:10.1155/2014/841798
- Colin Anderson, Dan Anderson, Nicole Harre, Norman Wade. Case Study: Two Fatal Case Reports of Acute Yohimbine Intoxication. Journal of Analytical Toxicology. Volume 37, Issue 8. October 2013. doi: 10.1093/jat/bkt057
- Yohimbe. Natural Medicines Database. Professional Monograph. 1/14/2019
- Yohimbe. National Institutes of Health. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. September 2016
- Yohimbe. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. About Herbs, Botanicals, and Other Products. December 2013
- Mann K et al. "Effects of Yohimbine on Sexual Experiences and Nocturnal Penile Tumescence and Rigidity in Erectile Dysfunction". Archives of Sexual Behavior. 25.1 (1996):1-16.
- Morales A et al. "Is Yohimbine Effective in the Treatment of Organic Impotence? Results of a Controlled Trial". Journal of Urology. 137.6 (1987):1168-72.
- Sax L. "Yohimbine Does Not Affect Fat Distribution in Men". International Journal of Obesity. 15.9 (1991):561-5.
- Vogt HJ et al. "Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Safety and Efficacy Trial With Yohimbine Hydrochloride in the Treatment of Nonorganic Erectile Dysfunction". International Journal of Impotence Research. 9.3 (1997):155-61.
Abigail Adams began her freelance writing career in 2009, teaching others about medical conditions and promoting wellness by writing on online health and fitness publications. She is educated and licensed as a registered nurse, having received her degree from North Georgia College and State University.