What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Although acne and freckles are completely unrelated, they sometimes appear together and they do have some similarities. Both acne and freckles create imperfections on the skin of the face, chest, back and shoulders. For the most part, acne can be treated and cleared up quickly. However, permanent scarring may occur in severe cases. Freckles tend to fade over time with the proper treatment. The permanent effects of both acne and freckles are treated with the same medications or similar cosmetic treatments.
Teenagers are more likely to suffer from acne, but adults can suffer from acne as well, according to MayoClinic.com 2. Women especially are prone to acne breakouts during or immediately prior to their menstrual cycle and during pregnancy.
Glycolic Acid & Dark Skin
Freckles, small accumulations of pigment within the skin, appear on sun-exposed areas of the skin, according to DermNet NZ 3. Freckles are common in fair-skinned people and people with red hair. Although dark-skinned people normally do not develop freckles, anyone can develop freckles. The amount and color of freckles often increases with sun exposure.
- Freckles, small accumulations of pigment within the skin, appear on sun-exposed areas of the skin, according to DermNet NZ 3.
- Freckles are common in fair-skinned people and people with red hair.
The causes for acne include oily skin, the accumulation of dead skin cells around pore openings and bacteria. Freckles result from hyperactive cell production in the skin. Small cells within the skin called melanocytes produce skin pigment.
Derma Filler Side Effects
Freckles gradually fade with time and proper protection from the sun. Treatment is not necessary, but some elect to treat, cover or fade their freckles with over-the-counter treatments, cosmetics or cosmetic laser procedures. Acne treatments include over-the-counter acne cleansers, prescription topical treatments, antibiotics, isotretinoin and dermabrasion, according to MayoClinic.com 2.cause:
- Acne treatments include over-the-counter acne cleansers
- prescription topical treatments
- according to MayoClinic.com 2
Treatment options for acne and freckles sometimes overlap. Some common treatments used to treat both conditions include retinoids, vitamin-C and cosmetic lasers.
- Freckles gradually fade with time and proper protection from the sun.
- Treatment is not necessary, but some elect to treat, cover or fade their freckles with over-the-counter treatments, cosmetics or cosmetic laser procedures.
During pregnancy, blood flow increases to the skin, resulting in increased oil production. Elevated hormones cause the skin to produce more pigment. Both of these factors cause acne and freckling in pregnant women.
Glycolic Acid & Dark Skin
Derma Filler Side Effects
How to Best Treat an Underground Pimple
Dark Pigmentation in the Elbows, Ankles and Inner Thigh
Hyperpigmentation While on Birth Control
How to Get Rid of Freckles With Vitamin C
Betaderm Side Effects
Yasmin Birth Control & Acne
Facts About Red Moles
Why Don't Some People Have Eyelashes?
- Kids Health: 10 Things That Might Surprise You about Being Pregnant
- MayoClinic: Acne
- DermNet NZ: Brown Spots and Freckles
- Rocha MA, Bagatin E. Adult-onset acne: prevalence, impact, and management challenges. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2018;11:59-69. doi:10.2147/CCID.S137794.
- Legro RS, Arslanian SA, Ehrmann DA, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(12):4565-92. doi:10.1210/jc.2013-2350.
- Buddenkotte J, Steinhoff M. Recent advances in understanding and managing rosacea. F1000Res. 2018;7. doi:10.12688/f1000research.16537.1.
- Tan AU, Schlosser BJ, Paller AS. A review of diagnosis and treatment of acne in adult female patients. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2018;4(2):56-71. doi:10.1016/j.ijwd.2017.10.006.
- Canavan TN, Chen E, Elewski BE. Optimizing non-antibiotic treatments for patients with acne: A Review. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2016;6(4):555-578. doi:10.1007/s13555-016-0138-1.
- Ramos-e-Silva M, Ramos-e-Silva S, Carneiro S. "Acne in Women." The British Journal of Dermatology. 2015 Jul;172 Suppl 1:20-6.
Kathy Mayse began her writing career as a reporter for "The Jackson-County Times Journal" in 2001. She was promoted to assistant editor shortly after. Since 2005, she has been busy as a successful freelancer specializing in Web content. Mayse is a licensed cosmetologist with more than 17 years of salon experience; most of her writing projects reflect this experience.