Decreased sex drive is a common problem among women worldwide. Everything from increased stress to decreased hormone levels can have a negative effect on your sex drive. Green tea is known to have ingredients such as caffeine, L-thiamine, and ginseng, all of which are known to have a positive effect on female sex drive 4.
According to BBC News, researchers at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas, have discovered that caffeine consumption may lead to an increase in sexual desire in women 4. Lead researcher, Fay Guarraci, M.D., suggests that the caffeine in green tea and coffee may have a stimulating effect on the section of the brain that is in control of sexual arousal 4. The study performed on rats found that females who ingested caffeine were more likely to seek out males for a subsequent mating session after being put through a mating test 4. Since the rats in the study had never been given caffeine before, Dr. Guarraci noted that the effect may only present in people who do not regularly consume caffeine 4. Caffeine may interact with some drugs, as stated by Drugs.com, changing the the concentration of your prescriptions in your plasma and decreasing their effectiveness 4. (see Reference 4, caffeine) Check with your doctor if you are unsure if caffeine is unsafe for you to ingest 4. Smoking can also enhance the effects of caffeine 4. Finally, it also have adverse effects if you have any form of cardiovascular diease, central nervous system diseases, or lower intestinal problems.
Why Does Caffeine Give Me a Headache?
One of the ingredients in green tea, L-theanine, has been known as an effective calming product in Japan for decades. According to Bill Faloon, of The Life Extension Foundation, theanine is capable of increasing a calming brain chemical called GABA. He also suggests that it can increase dopamine levels in both men and women. Dopamine can boost your mood and is also associated with an increase in the emotions linked to increased sex drive. Faloon also states that theanine can help you to think more clearly, helping you to stay in the moment and enjoy sex even more. According to Drugs.com, L-theanine does not have any established contraindications 4.
- One of the ingredients in green tea, L-theanine, has been known as an effective calming product in Japan for decades.
- According to Bill Faloon, of The Life Extension Foundation, theanine is capable of increasing a calming brain chemical called GABA.
Green tea is often infused with ginseng, a popular root originating from China. Ginseng has been found to stimulate sex drive, particularly in women. According to Natural Herbal Remedies Advice, sex drive is increased by ingesting ginseng because it helps to increase dopamine levels in the brain 3. As previously pointed out, dopamine is a feel-good neurotransmitter that works to increase feelings associated with increased sex drive. Drugs.com states that if you are on blood thinning medications or suffer from high blood pressure or increased blood glucose levels, you should exercise caution when supplementing with ginseng 4. (see Reference 4, Ginseng)
Caffeine Headache Symptoms
According to both Dr. Guarraci and Faloon, the calming and sexuality boosting effects of substances found in green tea can begin with the first cup you drink. The more you drink, the more effect green tea will have on you. Exercise caution with green tea, though. If you have adverse effects to caffeine or ginseng, or you find that these substances interfere with prescribed medications, check with your doctor to find out if green tea is safe for you 4. Also avoid green tea at night to avoid insomnia.
- According to both Dr. Guarraci and Faloon, the calming and sexuality boosting effects of substances found in green tea can begin with the first cup you drink.
- If you have adverse effects to caffeine or ginseng, or you find that these substances interfere with prescribed medications, check with your doctor to find out if green tea is safe for you 4.
Why Does Caffeine Give Me a Headache?
Caffeine Headache Symptoms
Can Caffeine Decrease Testosterone?
How Do Caffeine Tablets Affect Your Body?
Spearmint Tea and Caffeine
How Does Caffeine Affect Estrogen Levels?
Does Coffee Increase Adrenaline?
How Do Energy Drinks Affect the Brain & Motor Skills?
Gingko & Caffeine
What Causes a Person to Crash After Drinking Caffeine?
- BBC News: Coffee 'boosts female sex drive'.
- Bill Faloon: L-Theanine - Sex Drive Support / Dopamine / Glutamate
- Natural Herbal Remedies Advice: American Ginseng and its Many Healing Benefits
- Drugs.com: Caffeine
- Meredith SE, Juliano LM, Hughes JR, Griffiths RR. Caffeine Use Disorder: A Comprehensive Review and Research Agenda. J Caffeine Res. 2013;3(3):114-130. doi:10.1089/jcr.2013.0016
- Richards G, Smith AP. A Review of Energy Drinks and Mental Health, with a Focus on Stress, Anxiety, and Depression. J Caffeine Res. 2016;6(2):49-63. doi:10.1089/jcr.2015.0033
- Brunyé TT, Mahoney CR, Rapp DN, Ditman T, Taylor HA. Caffeine enhances real-world language processing: evidence from a proofreading task. J Exp Psychol Appl. 2012;18(1):95-108. doi:10.1037/a0025851
- Koppelstaetter F, Poeppel TD, Siedentopf CM, et al. Caffeine and cognition in functional magnetic resonance imaging. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20 Suppl 1:S71-84. doi:10.3233/JAD-2010-1417
- Harrell PT, Juliano LM. Caffeine expectancies influence the subjective and behavioral effects of caffeine. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;207(2):335-42. doi:10.1007/s00213-009-1658-5
- Lucas M, O'reilly EJ, Pan A, et al. Coffee, caffeine, and risk of completed suicide: results from three prospective cohorts of American adults. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2014;15(5):377-86. doi:10.3109/15622975.2013.795243
- Abdel-Hady H, Nasef N, Shabaan AE, Nour I. Caffeine therapy in preterm infants. World J Clin Pediatr. 2015;4(4):81-93. doi:10.5409/wjcp.v4.i4.81
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th edition. Washington DC; 2013.
- Turnbull D, Rodricks JV, Mariano GF, Chowdhury F. Caffeine and cardiovascular health. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;89:165-185. doi:10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.07.025
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Alcohol and Caffeine. Updated October 23, 2018.
- Alsunni AA. Energy Drink Consumption: Beneficial and Adverse Health Effects. Int J Health Sci (Qassim). 2015;9(4):468-474.
- Lyngsø J, Ramlau-Hansen CH, Bay B, Ingerslev HJ, Hulman A, Kesmodel US. Association between coffee or caffeine consumption and fecundity and fertility: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis. Clin Epidemiol. 2017;9:699-719. doi:10.2147/CLEP.S146496
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Pure and Highly Concentrated Caffeine. Updated September 21, 2018.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Drugs, Brains, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction. Updated July 2018.
Christie Carlson began writing professionally in 2010. She has spent time coaching in the Boise State University and Oregon State University strength and conditioning departments. She is a certified strength and conditioning specialist, USA weightlifting certified and a certified personal trainer. She holds a Bachelor of Science in human biology and a Master of Science in kinesiology from Boise State University.