What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
When your baby demonstrates signs of sickness, you naturally want to relieve his symptoms as soon as possible. Caring for a sick baby also makes it difficult to go to the store. So if you only have Children’s Motrin, you may feel tempted to give your baby whatever relevant non-adult medication you have at home. However, any medication should be chosen and administered carefully – especially for an infant; babies’ small, developing bodies are still sensitive and delicate, and giving your baby an inappropriate medication could cause harm.
The Children’s Motrin package only provides directions for 2-year-olds and up; Motrin did not intend the medication for 6-month-old infants. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, giving your infant a medication not specifically intended for infants “could result in serious harm.” Infant medicines follow a different system of concentration and dosing than children’s medicines; hence, if you use Children’s Motrin, you may give your infant an overdose or under-dose.
Ask a Doctor
According to Motrin, you should ask a doctor before giving Children’s Motrin to a baby younger than 2 years old. FamilyDoctor.org agrees, explaining that a doctor can tell you the correct dosage for giving Children’s Motrin to a baby who is at least 6 months old.
Motrin also manufactures a medicine specifically formulated for infants, simply called Infant’s Motrin. The company formulated this medicine for younger babies, and the package includes dosing directions for a 6-month-old infant.
Children’s Motrin Active Ingredient
How Does Mucinex Work?
Ibuprofen forms the active ingredient in Children’s Motrin. The National Institutes of Health's MedlinePlus website explains that ibuprofen can decrease pain, relieve inflammation and lower a fever 1. If your 6-month-old experiences one or more of these symptoms, you can call your doctor to ask about the proper dose of Children's Motrin. Never give your baby unneeded medication or medicine that doesn’t address her symptoms.
- Ibuprofen forms the active ingredient in Children’s Motrin.
- If your 6-month-old experiences one or more of these symptoms, you can call your doctor to ask about the proper dose of Children's Motrin.
Safety of Ibuprofen
In a 1999 study published in “Pediatrics,” the journal produced by the American Academy of Pediatrics, researchers Samuel M. Lesko and Allen A. Mitchell concluded that children younger than 2 years – including 6-month-old infants – can safely take ibuprofen over a short period of time 2. The study found only a small likelihood that ibuprofen could cause serious side effects. Further, the risks associated with ibuprofen were not any worse than those associated with acetaminophen, another over-the-counter pain and fever reducer -- it’s the active ingredient in Tylenol, for example.
How Does Mucinex Work?
What Are the Dangers of Taking Excedrin Every Day?
How to Alternate Tylenol & Motrin for a Fever
Baby Tylenol Side Effects
How to Ease a Nighttime Cough in Children
What Are the Dangers of Mucinex for Children?
What Is Tylex 750?
How to Alternate Advil and Tylenol for a Child's Fever
Antibiotics & Stomach Cramps in a Baby
- National Institutes of Health: Ibuprofen
- “Pediatrics”; The Safety of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen Among Children Younger Than Two Years Old; Samuel M. Lesko and Allen A. Mitchell; October 1999
- Pierce CA, Voss B. Efficacy and safety of ibuprofen and acetaminophen in children and adults: a meta-analysis and qualitative review. Ann Pharmacother. 2010;44(3):489-506. doi:10.1345/aph.1M332
- Bushra R, Aslam N. An overview of clinical pharmacology of ibuprofen. Oman Med J. 2010;25(3):155-1661. doi:10.5001/omj.2010.49
- Varrassi G, Alon E, Bagnasco M, et al. Towards an effective and safe treatment of inflammatory pain: A Delphi-guided expert consensus. Adv Ther. 2019;36(10):2618-2637. doi:10.1007/s12325-019-01053-x
- Duff WR, Chilibeck PD, Candow DG, et al. Effects of ibuprofen and resistance training on bone and muscle: a randomized controlled trial in older women. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017;49(4):633-640. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000001172
- Ricciotti E, Fitzgerald GA. Prostaglandins and inflammation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31(5):986-1000. doi:10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.207449
- U.S. National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus. Ibuprofen. Updated July 15, 2016.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA strengthens warning that non-aspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can cause heart attacks or strokes. Updated February 26, 2018.
- Ibuprofen Drug Facts Label. FDA.
- Brunton, L., Lazo, J, Parker, K. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 11th ed. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division. 2006.
- Duff, W., et. al. Effects of Ibuprofen and Resistance Training on Bone and Muscle: An RCT in Older Women. Med Sci Sports Exerc. Nov 2016 Nov 21.
- Hersh, EV, Pinto, A, Moore, PA. Adverse drug interactions involving common prescription and over-the-counter analgesic agents. Clint her 2007.
- Hochadel, M., PhD., ed., The AARP Guide to Pills., Gold Standard Publishers. Tampa, Fl 2006.
- Ibuprofen. Medline Plus. Oct. 2007.
As a professional copywriter since 2004, Lily Medina researches to expand her expertise in technology, parenting, education, health, fitness and writing. She has also taught high school and worked as a copy editor. Medina majored in political theory at Patrick Henry College.