What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Many conditions and diseases cause earache and sore throat pain. Earaches can occur in just one ear or both, and can range from mild, intermittent pain to severe continual pain, depending on the cause. A sore throat can present as a mild irritation or as intense pain in which swallowing and breathing become difficult.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Acute sinusitis is an inflammation of the cavities around the nasal passages, and can last for up to 8 weeks 1. Sinusitis lasting more than 8 weeks is known as chronic sinusitis, according to MayoClinic.com. The most frequent cause of acute sinusitis is the common cold; however, other possible causes include fungal infections, bacteria and allergies 1.
Possible symptoms associated with acute sinusitis include a thick discharge from the nose or down the throat, congestion, earache, sore throat and fatigue 1. Treatment options include symptom relief, such as saline nasal spray to rinse the nasal passages, corticosteroid sprays to treat inflammation, decongestants and over-the-counter pain relievers.
Sore Tonsils and Green Tea
Symptoms of larynx cancer vary according to the tumor size and the location within the larynx. Possible symptoms include:
- persistent cough
- sore throat
- difficulty breathing
- a lump in the neck
Treatment options for larynx cancer include radiation therapy alone or combined with surgery or chemotherapy.
The lymph nodes, or tonsils, in the back of the mouth filter out microorganisms and bacteria. Tonsillitis occurs when the tonsils become saturated with a viral or bacterial infection that causes swelling and inflammation 2. Tonsillitis is especially common in children, according to MedlinePlus 2.
Possible symptoms of tonsillitis include ear pain, a sore throat lasting more than 48 hours, difficulty swallowing, fever and tenderness of the jaw 2. The nearby lymph nodes in the jaw and neck may be tender and swollen. Tests that can be done by a health care provider to determine the presence of tonsillitis include a throat swab culture and a rapid strep test 2.
Treatment options include antibiotics for bacterial tonsillitis, rest, fluids and medications for pain and fever 2. Tonsillitis related to a bacterial infection, such as strep throat, is contagious for at least 24 hours after starting antibiotic treatment 2.
- The lymph nodes, or tonsils, in the back of the mouth filter out microorganisms and bacteria.
- Tonsillitis occurs when the tonsils become saturated with a viral or bacterial infection that causes swelling and inflammation 2.
Sore Tonsils and Green Tea
What Are the Causes of an Infection of the Tonsils?
A Sore and Swollen Throat
A Sore Throat & Swollen Tonsils
Causes of Swollen Throat Glands
What Are Some Reasons Why the Tonsils May Become Swollen?
Side Effects of Tonsillitis
What Causes Chest Congestion After Eating?
Common Causes of Front Neck Pain
What Are the Causes of Painful Ejaculation?
- Mayo Clinic: Acute Sinusitis
- MedlinePlus: Tonsillitis
- Abu bakar M, Mckimm J, Haque SZ, Majumder MAA, Haque M. Chronic tonsillitis and biofilms: a brief overview of treatment modalities. J Inflamm Res. 2018;11:329-337. doi:10.2147/JIR.S162486
- Gupta G, McDowell RH. Peritonsillar Abscess. StatPearls Publishing. Updated November 14, 2018.
- Regoli M, Chiappini E, Bonsignori F, Galli L, De martino M. Update on the management of acute pharyngitis in children. Ital J Pediatr. 2011;37:10. doi:10.1186/1824-7288-37-10
- Nikakhlagh S, Rahim F, Boostani H, Shirazi ST, Saki N. The effect of adenotonsillectomy on quality of life in adults and pediatric patients. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;64(2):181-3. doi:10.1007/s12070-011-0244-4
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. Primary Care Otolaryngology. 2011.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. Fact Sheet: Tonsillitis. Updated Feb. 2019.
- Kvestad E, Kværner KJ, Røysamb E, Tambs K, Harris JR, Magnus P. Heritability of recurrent tonsillitis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;131(5):383–387. doi:10.1001/archotol.131.5.383
- Senska G, Ellermann S, Ernst S, Lax H, Dost P. Recurrent tonsillitis in adults: quality of life after tonsillectomy. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2010;107(36):622–628. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2010.0622
Norene Anderson has been a writer since 2003. She is also a registered nurse with expertise in a wide range of medical conditions and treatments. Anderson received her associate degree in nursing from Lincoln University in Jefferson City, Mo.