What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Fluoride is derived from fluorine, an element with unique properties that are ideal for synthesizing drugs 3. Fluorine is the most electronegative element and can substitute for hydrogen in medicinal compounds, making the compound stronger and more stable, acidic and lipophilic. These qualities increase the bioavailability of the drug and its ability to attach to binding sites on cellular receptors and enzymes. Fluorine-containing drugs are used to treat dental disease, neuropsychiatric disorders, cancer, infections and heart disease.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Fluoride for Teeth
Fluoride is used as a prescription drug to prevent tooth decay, strengthen teeth, resist acid and block cavity-forming bacteria, according to MedlinePlus 23. It is prescribed for adults and children who do not have access to fluoridated water. Fluoride should not be taken if the level in drinking water exceeds 0.7 parts per million, according to Drugs.com 35. Side effects from overdose of fluoride include:
- increase in saliva
- stomach pain
- muscle stiffness
- skin rash
- seizures 3
Some people may develop discolored teeth and weakened tooth enamel.
Antibiotics for an Infected Tooth
The active pharmaceutical ingredient in Prozac is fluoxetine hydrochloride, a chemical compound containing fluoride 3. Prozac is a prescription drug indicated for the treatment of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa and panic disorder, according to its product label.
Fluphenazine hydrochloride is the active ingredient in Prolixin, an antipsychotic prescription drug used to treat schizophrenia, according to Drugs.com 35. The actual chemical compound of the drug is a trifluoromethyl phenothiazine derivative that contains fluoride 3. The product label warns users that the drug can cause tardive dyskinesia, an involuntary movement disorder; neuroleptic malignant syndrome; and potential birth defects. Abrupt cessation of the drug may cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and trembling.
Thyroid Medications List
A compound containing fluoride that is used to treat various types of cancer, according to the Cleveland Clinic and Drugs.com, is 5-fluorouracil 35. The chemotherapy drug is highly toxic, with a narrow margin for safety. There is a risk of blood toxicity, gastrointestinal bleeding and even death. The drug may also cause birth defects, so it should not be taken by pregnant women.
- A compound containing fluoride that is used to treat various types of cancer, according to the Cleveland Clinic and Drugs.com, is 5-fluorouracil 3.
- The drug may also cause birth defects, so it should not be taken by pregnant women.
Tipranavir is a fluoride-containing prescription drug that is known by the brand name Aptivus 3. Aptivus is indicated for treatment of HIV-1 infected patients. According to the product label, this medicine may cause liver toxicity and impairment, including inflammation, decomposition and bleeding in the brain. Fatalities have been reported from use of the drug.
- Tipranavir is a fluoride-containing prescription drug that is known by the brand name Aptivus 3.
- Aptivus is indicated for treatment of HIV-1 infected patients.
Antibiotics for an Infected Tooth
Thyroid Medications List
Is Carafate Used for Acid Reflux?
The Side Effects of Pantoprazole Sodium 40 Mg
What Are the Dangers of Hydroquinone?
Tylenol 3 Side Effects
Doxycycline for Treating Acne Cysts
Drugs to Avoid If You Take Lexapro
Does Green Tea Affect Coumadin?
Drugs That Affect Liver Function
- PharmaChem: Fluorine - A Vital Element in the Medicine Chest
- MedlinePlus: Fluoride
- Drugs.com: Fluoride
- Eli Lilly: Prozac Prescribing Information
- Drugs.com: Prolixin
- Aoun A, Darwiche F, Al Hayek S, Doumit J. The Fluoride Debate: The Pros and Cons of Fluoridation. Prev Nutr Food Sci. 2018 Sep;23(3):171-180. doi: 10.3746/pnf.2018.23.3.171. Epub 2018 Sep 30.
- Cheng X, Liu J, Li J, Zhou X, Wang L, Liu J, Xu X. Comparative effect of a stannous fluoride toothpaste and a sodium fluoride toothpaste on a multispecies biofilm. Arch Oral Biol. 2017 Feb;74:5-11. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2016.10.030. Epub 2016 Oct 29.
- Lv YG, Kang L, Wu G. Fluorosis increases the risk of postmenopausal osteoporosis by stimulating interferon γ. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Oct 14;479(2):372-379. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.09.083. Epub 2016 Sep 17.
- Peckham S, Lowery D, Spencer S. Are fluoride levels in drinking water associated with hypothyroidism prevalence in England? A large observational study of GP practice data and fluoride levels in drinking water. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2015 Jul;69(7):619-24. doi: 10.1136/jech-2014-204971. Epub 2015 Feb 24.
- Pornprasert S, Wanachantararak P, Kantawong F et al. Excessive fluoride consumption increases haematological alteration in subjects with iron deficiency, thalassaemia, and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency. Environ Geochem Health. 2017 Aug;39(4):751-758. doi: 10.1007/s10653-016-9845-x. Epub 2016 Jun 18.
Jeffrey Traister is a writer and filmmaker. For more than 25 years, he has covered nutrition and medicine for health-care companies and publishers, also producing digital video for websites, DVDs and commercials. Trained in digital filmmaking at The New School, Traister also holds a Master of Science in human nutrition and medicine from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.