Most individuals find an anti-yeast diet quite difficult physically, with the extreme fatigue and other symptoms that accompany die-off rather debilitating in many. However, in the initial stages, constructing a suitable diet plan can also present a challenge. The question of whether to include rice cakes or just stands out as one such dilemma.
The symptoms of a systemic yeast infection can vary from one person to the next, but typically include carbohydrate cravings, brain fog, fatigue and itching. Leon Chaitow, a naturopath and the author of “Candida Albicans,” explains how such infections often result from the overuse of antiobiotics or excessive sugar intake, which can create bacterial imbalance in the intestines before spreading to other parts of the body 2.
The Yeast Connection Diet
The major ingredient in treating such issues involves the elimination of sugar to starve the yeasts, the use of probiotics to help repopulate the intestinal bacteria and the introduction of anti-fungals. Dr. Rodger Murphree, a U.S. physician who has crafted several treatment plans for the condition, explains how the use of anti-fungal foods like coconut oil, garlic and grapefruit seed extract can help eradicate the problematic organisms.
The elimination of sugar remains key to a successful outcome. Jonny Bowden, a board-certified nutritionist and the author of several books on health and nutrition, explains how yeasts derive their nourishment from sugar and recommends that sufferers completely remove it from their diet. He also points out that carbohydrate-rich foods like rice, pasta and bread convert into sugar in the intestines and should be kept to a low level.
The No-amylose Diet
As the name suggests, manufacturers make rice cakes from rice, applying heat until individual grains puff up. Although they have become popular in recent years as a low-calorie snack, rice cakes have existed in many forms in different countries. Because of the air content, rice cakes provide a lower density of carbohydrates in relation to their bulk.
Because of their relatively low carbohydrate content, rice cakes may feature in anti-yeast diets in controlled amounts. However, as pointed out by Bowden, the overall carbohydrate intake must remain at a low level in order to continue a starvation effect on the problematic yeast populations, at least until the die-off phase ends.
The Yeast Connection Diet
The No-amylose Diet
Yeast & Sugar Free Diet
Gluten & Yeast Free Foods
Yogurt & Candida Diet
Phase One of the Anti-Fungal Diet
The Candida Diet & Rice
When Can I Eat Ezekiel Bread on Candida Diet?
3 Ways to Understand the Difference Between Gluten and Yeast
Intestinal Yeast & Body Odor
- The Environmental Illness Resource: Treatment of Candida and Yeast Overgrowth, Dr Rodger Murphree
- “Candida Albicans;" Leon Chaitow; 1999
- TotalHealthBreakthroughs.com: Jonny Bowden – Get Rid of Candida For Good
- Fuhrman J. The hidden dangers of fast and processed food. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2018;12(5):375-381. doi:10.1177/1559827618766483
- American Diabetes Association. Glycemic Index and Diabetes. 2014.
- Mohan V, Spiegelman D, Sudha V, et al. Effect of brown rice, white rice, and brown rice with legumes on blood glucose and insulin responses in overweight Asian Indians: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2014;16(5):317-25. doi:10.1089/dia.2013.0259
- American Heart Association. Why Should I Limit Sodium? 2017.
- Decastro BR, Caldwell KL, Jones RL, et al. Dietary sources of methylated arsenic species in urine of the United States population, NHANES 2003-2010. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(9):e108098. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0108098
- Bucher T, Hartmann C, Rollo ME, Collins CE. What is nutritious snack food? A comparison of expert and layperson assessments. Nutrients. 2017;9(8) doi:10.3390/nu9080874
- Hess JM, Jonnalagadda SS, Slavin JL. What is a snack, why do we snack, and how can we choose better snacks? A review of the definitions of snacking, motivations to snack, contributions to dietary intake, and recommendations for improvement. Adv Nutr. 2016;7(3):466-75. doi:10.3945/an.115.009571
- Njike VY, et al. Snack food, satiety, and weight. Adv Nutr. 2016;7(5):866-78. doi:10.3945/an.115.009340
- Yoon NR, Yoon S, Lee SM. Rice cakes containing dietary fiber supplemented with or without artemisia annua and gynura procumbens merr. alleviated the risk factors of metabolic syndrome. Clin Nutr Res. 2016;5(2):79-88. doi:10.7762/cnr.2016.5.2.79
A London-based personal trainer, nutritional therapist and allergist, Marek Doyle runs Blueprintfitness.co.uk and counts world champion athletes and TV personalities amongst his clientele. He has contributed to various publications, including Good Life magazine, Natural News and PTontheNet.