The muscles of your core include the abdominals, back muscles, shoulders and glutes. By introducing core fat-burning exercises that increase your heart rate, you can strengthen and tone your midsection while burning calories to help give you defined abs. Incorporate cardio core training exercises into your fitness routine three times a week to help burn fat and calories.
Lunge Jump With Torso Twist
The lunge jump with a torso twist will work your core while burning fat and calories. Stand with your feet hip-distance apart, with your arms extended out in front of your chest. Engage your abs by pulling your belly button to your spine to support your back. This is starting position 1.
Step forward with your right leg into a lunge, so your right thigh is parallel to the floor. Twist at your waist to bring both your arms to the right, then return to center. Explode out of the squat and alternate the position of your feet, so your left foot is forward. Sink back down into a lunge and twist your torso to the left to complete one rep. Perform three sets of 12 to 15 reps.
- The lunge jump with a torso twist will work your core while burning fat and calories.
- Twist at your waist to bring both your arms to the right, then return to center.
Stomach Fat Burning Exercises
The burpee will tone your core muscles and increase your heart rate to burn calories and fat. Start by standing with your feet hip-distance apart, with your belly button pulled toward your spine to engage your abs.
Move down into plank position on the floor with your weight on your hands and toes. Lower your torso until your chest is a few inches above the ground, then push yourself back up to plank position. Keeping your abs tight to keep your torso steady, jump your feet in toward your hands. Raise your hands off the ground and jump up as high as you can, raising your hands overhead. This is one rep. Perform three sets of 15 reps, moving as fast as you can while maintaining control.
- The burpee will tone your core muscles and increase your heart rate to burn calories and fat.
- Move down into plank position on the floor with your weight on your hands and toes.
Jumping Jack Plank
Jumping jack planks will strengthen your core, as well as burn fat and calories. Get into plank position on the floor, with your hands in line with your shoulders, and your weight distributed between your hands and toes. Keep your abs pulled in toward your spine to stabilize your torso for the duration of the exercise.
Keep your hips low as you jump your feet apart, then back together in a jumping jack motion. For an extra challenge, each time you jump your feet together, twist one knee under your body, reaching toward the opposite shoulder to work the muscles along the sides of your torso. Complete three sets of 20 plank jumping jacks, and work up to 50 reps per set.
- Jumping jack planks will strengthen your core, as well as burn fat and calories.
- Keep your hips low as you jump your feet apart, then back together in a jumping jack motion.
Stomach Fat Burning Exercises
Exercises to Trim the Waistline for Men
Exercises to Burn Belly Fat Fast
Exercises for the Sagittal Plane
Stretching Exercises for ACL Injuries
How to Correct Pulled Forward Shoulders
The Quickest Way to Get an Hourglass Shape
Chair Exercises to Strengthen Legs
Exercises to Get Rid of Belly and Tricep Fat for Women
Pronation Foot Exercises
- Body Building: Burpee Conditioning
- Donnelly JE, Honas JJ, Smith BK, et al. Aerobic exercise alone results in clinically significant weight loss for men and women: midwest exercise trial 2. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013
- Dr. Marcus Kilpatrick. Interval-based exercise: So many names, so many possibilities. American College of Sports Medicine Blog. 2017
- Langton, Becky, M.A., ACSM-EP et al. UTILIZING BODY WEIGHT TRAINING WITH YOUR PERSONAL TRAINING CLIENTS. American College of Sports Medicine. Health and Fitness Journal. 2018
- Miller CT et al. The Effects of Exercise Training in Addition to Energy Restriction on Functional Capacities and Body Composition in Obese Adults during Weight Loss: A Systematic Review. PLoS ONE. 2013
- Stastny P, Tufano JJ, Golas A, Petr M. Strengthening the Gluteus Medius Using Various Bodyweight and Resistance Exercises. Strength Cond J. 2016
- Tjønna AE et al. Low- and High-Volume of Intensive Endurance Training Significantly Improves Maximal Oxygen Uptake after 10-Weeks of Training in Healthy Men. PLoS ONE. 2013
Sylvie Tremblay holds a Master of Science in molecular and cellular biology and has years of experience as a cancer researcher and neuroscientist.