Sippy cups are ideal for transitioning babies from bottles to regular cups. Whether you’re giving your child milk, juice or water in a sippy cup, it will get dirty and require cleaning. According to Education.com, bacteria and mold can thrive in dirty sippy cups. If you don’t feel safe just washing your child’s sippy cup, sterilize it periodically to kill bacteria, mold and germs.
Fill the kitchen sink with warm, soapy water. Disassemble the cup by removing parts like lids, rubber or plastic stoppers and straws.
Place all parts of the sippy cup in the soapy water. Use a bottle brush to scrub the cup and each part, taking care to get into small nooks and crannies. Drain the soapy water and rinse the sippy cup and all parts.
Fill the sink with a gallon of warm water. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of household bleach.
Place the cup and all disassembled parts in the bleach solution. Let them soak for two to five minutes. Drain the water, then let the cup air-dry completely. It’s not necessary to rinse after soaking in the bleach solution, but let the parts and cup air-dry completely so the bleach dissipates.
You can also sterilize a sippy cup by disassembling it and placing all the pieces in a pot of boiling water for two minutes.
Wear rubber gloves when using bleach. Keep bleach out of reach of children.