With so many massaging oils available, it's impossible to deem only one the best for breast massages. But you can choose according to need. Should you find yourself in need of massaging oil for your breasts during or after pregnancy, during any kind of breast exam or treatment, or to maintain a beauty regimen, choose pure essential oils. If you want to treat wounds or surgical scarring, choose a vitamin-infused mineral oil 1.
Pure and Essential Oils
Pure essential oils are composed of natural ingredients that come from nuts, fruits, flowers, herbs and certain kinds of wood. Essential oils will not block air or moisture, allowing skin to breathe and remain soft and conditioned. Both medical and holistic health practitioners recommend breast massages right after an exam. Immediately following no abnormalities, massage olive or sunflower seed oil into the skin, circulating the blood and pressing out the lymphatic metabolic waste. For pregnant women, a routine essential oil massage may keep the breast tissue soft and liquids circulating. However, breastfeeding mothers should avoid scented oils to protect their babies when feeding. Though not endorsed by the medical community, aromatherapy oils such as cedar wood and lavender may help you relax and are popular among some holistic practitioners who believe aromatherapy is a deterrent against cancer.
- Pure essential oils are composed of natural ingredients that come from nuts, fruits, flowers, herbs and certain kinds of wood.
- Though not endorsed by the medical community, aromatherapy oils such as cedar wood and lavender may help you relax and are popular among some holistic practitioners who believe aromatherapy is a deterrent against cancer.
Mineral Oils: Yay or Nay?
How to Rub Fish Oil on Scars
Mineral oils are manufactured from petrolatum compound ingredients, meant to serve as a barrier. They don't blend into the skin or react with other substances to produce moisture; they sit on the skin locking in the air and moisture your skin already has. These kinds of oils are very good to treat surgical wounds after an augmentation or mastectomy. A mineral oil infused with vitamin E will block additional air and moisture from interfering with the healing properties of vitamin E. However, unless there is a wound that needs dressing, avoid using oils that block air and moisture from your breast area when massaging 1. Breasts need the right combination of air and moisture to prevent rashes and skin blotches.
- Mineral oils are manufactured from petrolatum compound ingredients, meant to serve as a barrier.
- A mineral oil infused with vitamin E will block additional air and moisture from interfering with the healing properties of vitamin E. However, unless there is a wound that needs dressing, avoid using oils that block air and moisture from your breast area when massaging 1.
Clearing Up Scars
If you have healed scar tissue or stretch marks, use cocoa or shea butter infused with vitamin E. These oils and vitamin E have epidermal healing properties to clear up scar tissue, stretch marks and blotches.
Allergies and Sensitivities
How to Get Rid of Blackheads on Your Breasts
Food allergies prevent some people from enjoying nut and fruit oils. Consult with your physician regarding specific oils or conduct a patch test before use. Always smell a massage oil before rubbing it into your skin. Aromas sometimes give a delayed negative reaction. At first smell, an oil may be delicious and soothing but can later cause nausea.
- Food allergies prevent some people from enjoying nut and fruit oils.
- At first smell, an oil may be delicious and soothing but can later cause nausea.
How to Rub Fish Oil on Scars
How to Get Rid of Blackheads on Your Breasts
The Best Way to Treat Red Acne on Your Face
Clogged Pores in Skin
Essential Oils Used for Feminine Hygiene Sprays
List of Essential Oils & Their Uses
What Are the Treatments for a Skin Rash From Mineral Oil?
Vitamin A, C & E in Skin Care When Pregnant
Ointments to Prevent Scarring
The Best Way to Remove Dead Skin After a Cast Removal
- Personal Care Truth: Mineral Oil
- BraMates: Preventing Breast Rashes
- Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula: Breast Cancer
- Edith Jones, MD; Internal Medicine; Houston, Texas
- National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy. Safety information.
- Elshafie HS, Camele I. An overview of the biological effects of some Mediterranean essential oils on human health. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9268468. doi:10.1155/2017/9268468
- Han X, Eggett DL, Parker TL. Evaluation of the health benefits of a multivitamin, multimineral, herbal, essential oil-infused supplement: A pilot trial. J Diet Suppl. 2018;15(2):153-160. doi:10.1080/19390211.2017.1331943
- Nauman MC, Johnson JJ. Clinical application of bergamot (Citrus bergamia) for reducing high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease markers. Integr Food Nutr Metab. 2019;6(2):31057945. doi:10.15761/IFNM.1000249
- Alves-Silva JM, Zuzarte M, Gonçalves MJ, et al. New claims for wild carrot (Daucus carota subsp. carota) essential oil. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:9045196. doi:10.1155/2016/9045196.
- Rao PV, Gan SH. Cinnamon: a multifaceted medicinal plant. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:642942. doi:10.1155/2014/642942
- Alqareer A, Alyahya A, Andersson L. The effect of clove and benzocaine versus placebo as topical anesthetics. J Dent. 2006;34(10):747-50. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2006.01.009
- Bachir RG, Benali M. Antibacterial activity of the essential oils from the leaves of Eucalyptus globulus against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012;2(9):739-742. doi:10.1016/s2221-1691(12)60220-2
- Al-Otaibi WA, Alkhatib MH, Wali AN. Cytotoxicity and apoptosis enhancement in breast and cervical cancer cells upon coadministration of mitomycin C and essential oils in nanoemulsion formulations. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018;106:946-955. doi:10.1016/j.biopha.2018.07.041
- Ghannadi A, Bagherinejad M, Abedi D, Jalali M, Absalan B, Sadeghi N. Antibacterial activity and composition of essential oils from Pelargonium graveolens L'Her and Vitex agnus-castus L. Iran J Microbiol. 2012;4(4):171-6.
- Orchard A, van Vuuren S. Commercial essential oils as potential antimicrobials to treat skin diseases. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017;2017:4517971. doi:10.1155/2017/4517971
- Faydalı S, Çetinkaya F. The effect of aromatherapy on sleep quality of elderly People residing in a nursing home. Holist Nurs Pract. 2018;32(1):8-16. doi:10.1097/HNP.0000000000000244
- Dosoky NS, Setzer WN. Biological activities and safety of Citrus spp. essential oils. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(7):1966. doi:10.3390/ijms19071966
- Shah G, Shri R, Panchal V, Sharma N, Singh B, Mann A. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of cymbopogon citratus, stapf (lemon grass). J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2011;2(1):3-8. doi:10.4103/2231-4040.79796
- de Rapper S, Van Vuuren SF, Kamatou GP, et al. The additive and synergistic antimicrobial effects of select frankincense and myrrh oils—A combination from the pharaonic pharmacopoeia. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2012;54(4):352-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1472-765X.2012.03216.x
- Hashmat I, Azad H, Ahmed A. Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss) - A nature's drugstore: An overview. I Res J Biological Sci. 2012;1(6):76-79.
- Kim IH, Kim C, Seong K, Hur MH, Lim HM, Lee MS. Essential oil inhalation on blood pressure and salivary cortisol levels in prehypertensive and hypertensive subjects. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:984203. doi:10.1155/2012/984203
- Faturi CB, Leite JR, Alves PB, Canton AC, Teixeira-Silva F. Anxiolytic-Like Effect of Sweet Orange Aroma in Wistar Rats. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2010 May 30;34(4):605-9. doi:10.1016/j.pnpbp.2010.02.020
- Ito K, Ito M. Sedative effects of vapor inhalation of the essential oil of Microtoena patchoulii and its related compounds. J Nat Med. 2011;65(2):336-343. doi:10.1007/s11418-010-0502-x
- Alammar N, Wang L, Saberi B, et al. The impact of peppermint oil on the irritable bowel syndrome: a meta-analysis of the pooled clinical data. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2019;19(1):21. doi:10.1186/s12906-018-2409-0
- Marzouk TM, El-Nemer AM, Baraka HN. The effect of aromatherapy abdominal massage on alleviating menstrual pain in nursing students: a prospective randomized cross-over study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:742421. doi:10.1155/2013/742421
- Habtemariam S. The therapeutic potential of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) diterpenes for Alzheimer's disease. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:2680409. doi:10.1155/2016/2680409.
- NIH: National Cancer Institute. Aromatherapy with essential oils (PDQ®)–patient version.
- Tisserand Institute. What to do in case of adverse reaction. Updated January 2, 2018.
- International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists. Pregnancy guidelines.
Rebecca Walton started writing after a 10-year career in state government. She is a long time contributor to Houston Style Magazine, which led to her becoming an authority on fashion and style. Walton holds a master's degree in liberal arts and owns a media and communications company that delivers content to the masses.