How to Put Cat Whiskers on a Bowstring

By Irene A. Blake

Cat whisker silencers, also commonly called "spider legs," are bundled solid or multi-color lightweight, waterproof, rubber strings that help to silence the “twang” sound that comes from a bowstring when shooting an arrow. Sold as rubber strips that pull apart into strings, putting cat whiskers on a bowstring doesn’t require much beyond tying the strips to your bowstring near a string end, securing the strips to the bowstring and cutting the strips to separate the strips into strings.

Step 1

Measure out six (short bowstrings) to 10 (long bowstrings) inches from a string end with a measuring tape or ruler.

Step 2

Stack two to three cat whisker strips together and wrap lengthwise around the bowstring.

Step 3

Tie thin multifilament nylon end serving string tightly around the center of the strips, knot at least six times to secure in place, and then cut the string ends off, leaving approximately a half-inch of string at the ends.

Step 4

Glue the serving string ends to the center with a few drops of liquid quick dry adhesive. Wait for the adhesive to dry and then pull each strip end apart lengthwise at the middle of the strip—splitting each in half.

Step 5

Secure the bow in a bow press or ask another person to hold it.

Step 6

Grasp one of the split strip ends in your non-dominant hand and the handles of your scissors in the other with the scissors open against the side of the strip.

Step 7

Pull the strip toward you while cutting at the same time to separate the strings. Repeat on the other strips. If done correctly, your cat whiskers silencer should have a round shape.

Step 8

Test your bow. If the silencer slips from its position on the bowstring, secure in place with adhesive.


About the Author

Based in Southern Pennsylvania, Irene A. Blake has been writing on a wide range of topics for over a decade. Her work has appeared in projects by The National Network for Artist Placement, the-phone-book Limited and GateHouse Media. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from Shippensburg University.

Related Articles

More Related